Tuesday, April 14, 2009

EM Interview

EM is a singer/songwriter from Calgary, Canada. I recently had the chance to interview her, and here it is!

Lets start things off here by asking, how are you?

I’m great! Hugely optimistic about the future…things are coming up Em!


Who are your musical influences?

I am mostly influenced by music with a killer vocal melody. Music from the 90’s inspired most of my song writing skills; especially No Doubt, Eels, Our Lady Peace, Weezer, Weird Al and the Goo Goo Dolls. More recent influences include Paramore, Kelly Clarkson, Gwen Stefani, Bright Eyes and Coldplay.


What got you started into music?

I grew up on a farm, so I was pretty bored at the best of times. My mom had an old classical guitar tucked away in the basement and I pulled it out and taught myself a few chords from a book. Once I learned 3 chords I wrote my first song. I had a lot of teenage angst that just had to be converted into lyrics. I soon switched to a steel string of course…


If you could tour with any band, who would it be and why?

I would LOVE to tour with No Doubt after they release their new record. Gwen is my idol musically and business wise. I would love to just sit back with a beer after every show and ask her questions.


Outside music, what kind of things do you enjoy?

I’m big into fitness, so most of my free time is working out or getting outside! Hiking, rollerblading, biking, badminton or kayaking. But in the winter, I watch WAY too many movies.


What inspires you to make music?

Life. Sounds generic, but its true. Most of the time I creepily “people watch”. I get inspired by imagining what their lives are like, and the things they are thinking. I don’t have a lot of drama in my life, so I dream it up!

If you were not into making music, what would you be doing instead?

I graduated from college in Radio Broadcasting, and I really enjoyed it. I love writing radio commercials and scripts. I’ve thought about being a nutritionist too. Eating right gives you energy, and it would be fun to help people learn to love great foods.


So, you got to go to the Junos and walk the red carpet, what was that like?

Walking the red carpet was one of the most AMAZING experiences I’ve ever had. I wasn’t prepared for the amount of energy that just comes down on you when you are sandwiched between crowds of screaming people. It was so loud and crazy! I got to meet a lot of really awesome folks. That was the first time I’ve ever felt like a real star. Intense.


If you could be any cartoon character, who would it be?

Pepper Ann! She’s so deliciously awkward and nerdy but cool at the same time.


Do you think the internet, and sites like MySpace and Twitter helps out new artists with gaining exposure and showing off their music to other people?

Without a doubt! Myspace was where I got my start, posting self-recordings from my closet, getting feedback and meeting new people. It takes awhile to really build your fanbase, but it’s amazing once you do. I now have some great friends who have been with me since the beginning…I can’t wait to meet all of them. I am lucky to have these sites because I can write the music that I want, and post! Complete freedom.


When you played your first ever show, were you nervous and what kind of fears came with playing your first show and how did you overcome them?

I was sooo nervous! My first show was with my old high school band “Seducing Fido”. We played some cover songs at our school’s Christmas talent show in the gymnasium. The sound was terrible, and we were awful!! Performing in front of your whole high school was probably the most intimidating show ever. Every other show was easy after that!! I knew it couldn’t get worse. I have it on video and I hope it never ends up on youtube. J


Any last words?

Live your dreams. Buy my album “Dream it Up” on itunes or at cdbaby.com.


Anyone you want to thank?

Russell Broom for taking a chance on me and producing my new album, and Kyle Corner for EVERYTHING else!


Thanks,

Ryan!


EM's MySpace

1 comment:

Domingo said...

Hi ! I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina. When I was really new on Myspace a little more of a year ago I didn't have a clue of what to do there.
The first musical artist I added was EM. She proved to be the most wonderful human being, an artist with "heart". She really is in touch with her fans and I really love her as an artist but mostly as a beautiful person. Nice interview!! Way to go EM!!!