Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Char2d2 Interview

Char2d2 is a musician here, in Vancouver and is great! I recently got the chance to interview her and here it is!

Lets start things off, by asking how are you?


--Ryan, my dear, I am well, thank you. It's a rainy, spring evening and the wind and rain are blowing into my apartment through the cracked open window. I don't mind...it feels warm...summer is near. Plus, it masks the tears running down my face because of the Canucks horrible loss to the hawks tonight.


So you recently recorded your EP with Tegan Quin, what was that like?


--Yes, my debut EP titled "small vampires EP" was recorded with/produced by Tegan Rain Quin. It was an overall excellent experience and we hope to work together on the full length album in the near future.

What was it like...well, over the course of 3 days, we arrived at the studio at 10am, unless it was a day that I misunderstood the time, in which case I arrived at 10:30am, we followed well organized binders that Tegan fabricated...these were holding our tasks and secrets that we must remember...we recorded tracks...ate falafels or sandwiches, drank Red Bull, recorded more tracks, had stolen bikes offered to me, drank Red Bull, recorded vocals while wearing a leopard print rug, grew wings, realized Red Bull makes me crazy, got Tegan another Red Bull, then listened to all the tracks for 2 days and adjusted levels (aka mixing). It was a well-organized, 5 day, quick session of incredibleness.


What were some of the challenges you faced while recording it?


--There weren't too many challenges. As I mentioned, Tegan's binders helped us to stay on track and to be efficient with a short amount of time. It was hard on my friends because I disappeared for 2 weeks, during pre-production, while I was rehearsing/preparing to record. But all went very smoothly.


When is it expected to be released?


--I should have copies in my hand in one month. The end of May, or first week of June. I'll keep you informed of the exact date.


Photo by Lindsey Byrnes.

What are some challenges you may face as a ‘new artist’?


--One thing that I like to do is to leave a personal comment on each of my new myspace friends' pages. Suddenly I got a few hundred new myspace friends all at once so it's been a challenge to leave them all a personal message. I'm getting there. I only have about another 200 messages to leave...ha! But I love it. I love my new friends/fans...they're lovely. I find it hard to complain about anything related to music and playing or making music. I feel very grateful to get to do this.


Who are your musical influences?


--I grew up listening to Johnny Cash, Abba, the Beach Boys, the Beatles, Roger Whittaker (a pan flute player)...my parents loved this kind of music. But I was from a strict home and wasn't allowed to listen to the radio until I was 12 years old. So, when I was 10 years old, I saved up my allowance, told my mom that I was going to buy new My Little Ponies with it, but instead, I bought a tiny, battery-run radio that I slipped underneath my pillowcase. I fell asleep listening to the radio every night. This was when the radio was great...it was people like Bjork, R.E.M., Joy Division, U2, the Cure, etc. And I loved it. This music affected me. It was so precious. Lately, I've been listening to a lot of Radiohead, the National, Iron & Wine, Cat Power, Antony & the Johnsons, and Lykke Li.


What got you into music and wanted to continue with it and progress and start to record?


--I always wanted to sing. My mom says that I sang before I spoke. I was a very shy child and so this was only my secret dream. In my early 20's I started playing guitar...my guitar teacher encouraged me to sing and then insisted that I needed to pursue music as my career. I went to school, obtained my Bachelor of Music degree and formed a band. I've always loved music. My latest, solo project was put into motion when Tegan offered to produce it. I asked her if she was serious and if so, let's do it! She was serious...we did it.


What kind of things do you enjoy outside of music?


--I like to read, write, sew, run, walk, talk about time travel & past lives, watch indie films, go to Paris, communicate with my heart that I left in Paris, drink good coffee, watch roller derby, watch hockey with my friends. And I love yam fries.


How do you think social media sites(Myspace, Twitter, Facebook, etc), and the rest of the internet help new artists with getting more known?


--These sites are great. They help friends and/or virtual friends communicate and share their lives with each other. Music is a large part of many people’s lives so they share this with their friends. I am so grateful to my friends online, who have shared my music with their friends and are helping to spread the char2d2 love around.



What inspires you to make music?


--I get this feeling that I know I'm going to write. It's sort of a tingly feeling and I can physically feel that something is coming. Then, I write and it's a bit like tapping into something that is just slightly beyond reach...I feel like a messenger sometimes. But life inspires me... and love inspires me greatly. Or heartache. All good times to make music.


If you were not making music, what do you think you would be doing instead?


--Adopting fancy babies from foreign countries.

When you played your first ever show, were you nervous and what kind of fears came with playing your first show and how did you overcome them?


--I was very nervous and still get quite nervous. But it's a feeling that I enjoy...it's like butterflies when you're newly in love and your love walks into the room and catches your eye. *butterflies* I love it. My biggest fear is forgetting my words. I do this often, but I've learned to learn my words better, or to make up new words in the forgotten words place so that nobody knows. And before each show I cast a spell over the audience so that if I forget the words badly, they still love me and throw their panties, roses and yam fries at me. Okay, that last part doesn't always happen. Okay, it hasn't happened yet, but I'm still perfecting the spell.


If you could tour with any band, who would it be and why?


--I would love to tour with Tegan & Sara. I have great respect for them as people, musicians and their work ethics. It would be great to tour with any band composed of great, fun, talented people.


What do you hope people will take away with them when they hear your music or see your live show?


--I would hope for them to feel inspired, and/or feel happy/peaceful even through the sad parts.


What are some bands you think people should check out?


--Non-Girly Stuff For Girls...Parisienne hotties...www.myspace.com/nongirlystuffforgirls

Fighter/Lover from Toronto...lovely boys...www.myspace.com/fightorlove

The Wintermitts...local Vancouver darlings...www.myspace.com/wintermittsmusic


Anyone you want to thank?


--My mom, dad, Jesus, Buddha, cheap flats in Vancouver's downtown Eastside, Tegan, Soizic, Cameron, Ashley...everyone who puts up with my non-crazy/craziness on a daily basis.


Any last words?


Peace out, homie, my dear. xo



Thanks,

Ryan!


No, thank YOU, my dear.


You can check out Char2d2 here!

No comments: