Monday, May 25, 2009

Munky interview!

Munky is a member of this site called PinkBike.com. He is pretty awesome and interesting. His real name is Eric, but that's not quite important. Read this interview I did with him!

Let’s start things off by asking how are you?
I's good.
So, why are you so funky? Mostly because it sounds more elegant than “really weird” and conveniently rhymes with Munky.

What are a few random facts about you?
Whenever I read something in my head, I read it as the voice of Morgan Freeman. This makes my life very soothing and relaxing. Seriously, try it now. Read the rest of the interview in Morgan Freeman’s voice. It will also make me sound very wise and educated.

Whenever somebody describes something as being “Sweet-ass” I move the – one word to the right for personal amusement. Example: “sweet-ass bike” becomes “sweet ass-bike”

You ride bikes, what kind of bike do you have?
Yes, common misconception. I in fact DO ride bikes. I have a 2003 Norco Crr one, 2002 Kona Firemountain, and a 2004 bighit. I just got a new camera actually, so I'm more than happy to attach pictures.


How did you get into bikes?
I don’t really know. I used to bike to school everyday, then I got a better bike and just rode it a lot. This was the firemountain, eventually I saved up for 2 years got a bigger bike to do DH and free ridding. I inherited the crr one from my dad, who decided he was too old and needed a 3 chainring road bike.


What are your hobbies?
I make custom knives. I've actually been meaning to make a small lightweight woods knife for bikers. Just a throw in the pack and forget about it type thing. We shall see.

What’s one thing you would like to change about the world, and why?
I would give everybody bullshit detectors.

What are some band’s you are currently into?
Morphine, Elbow, Passion Pit, Bon iver, blitzen trapper, Elliot Smith, Islands

What do you like to eat for breakfast?
BACON! If they had instant bacon it would be the death of me. They do have precooked bacon for dogs, though unfortunately it doesn’t taste good. At all. It's awful. Don’t try it thinking you’re a genius for discovering the holy grail of awesome, because you didn’t.

What I usually have is a poached egg on toast. Or rather 3 poached eggs on 2 pieces of toast for the perfect egg to toast ratio. I got this sweet ass-toaster that poaches eggs while toasting bread. Very cleaver thing. Almost makes up for mankind’s lack of human precooked bacon.

If you could travel to any part of the world, where would you go and why?
Southeast Asia, South America and the Middle East. There’s just something I find not particularly appealing about traveling around Europe. It just seems like it would be more fun to visit a completely different culture, rather than one we're based on.
Who is your favourite member on Pinkbike.com?
Ryan Hill aka- Ito. In contrast to most of Pinkbike, he always has very well thought out, well written posts that are full of wisdom if you pay attention to them. In general he's just done some really cool stuff I admire.

How would you characterize yourself?
I really have no idea what that means. If I were writing a book with myself in it, I would be a sort of Bruce Willis in die hard type. Manly, badass, and wise cracking.

What did you think when I agreed to do an interview with you?
I couldn’t help but think these things were usually suppose to be the other way around.
How did your homemade screen projector turn out?
The following was all especially disconcerting to me considering I lost the instructions and had to wire it without them, so I had no idea what to expect. The kind of bulb I used needs to strike up at 5000 volts. So as the ballast is loading up to fire the first jolt to start the arc it makes a makes a vvvvrrmmmmmmPOW! Then starts very dim and purply until it warms up. I was sure I did something wrong, because I didn’t see any light at first and it was vibrating unexpectedly.

Other than that, it still impresses the hell out of me every time I turn it on and it actually works. Though the prices of commercial projectors has come down quite a bit recently, I’m still quite proud of it despite the fact that you could buy one with similar capabilities for about 120$ more.

What’s in your pockets?
Wallet containing 60 dollars and change, peanut lighter for setting annoying people on fire, keychain light (Fenix E01), pocket knife (spyderco Delica 4), Cell phone with a broken microphone because it went threw the washing machine, and my hand. Sometimes a leather man wave, and often a different knife.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years from now?
I have yet to come up with a good answer for that. One of the most annoying job interview questions in existence. Only supposed by “what is your biggest weakness” which I can’t help but answer “I have several”. So yeah, not answering that unless you want the smart ass “Well, its Saturday, so laying on the couch having my children fetch me beer”

What is 1 thing you would like to accomplish before you die?
Eat a bacon wrapped pickle. I just got a craving for one for some reason despite never having heard of their existence before. I think I'm pregnant.

What would be a dream job for you?
Well, I'm working towards being a paramedic at the moment. So hopefully that, while somehow making more than 18 dollars an hour would be cool.

Thanks, Ryan!

No comments: