Saturday, March 27, 2010

State of Shock Interview (Alley)

Let’s start things off by asking how are you?

I'm doing great, in need of a shower though.

How did you know music was your thing and that you should pursue it further?

I just loved it, as long as I can remember, always wanted to learn new instruments.

What was the first bass you got?

It was a Fender Prophecy; it actually got stolen from a show last summer in Brandon Manitoba. My least valuable bass, but the one most important to me. I was just gunna retire it too, so that it would be safe at home. That crushed me, but hopefully some little kid has it now and will put it to good use.

What got you into playing the bass?

I actually started out as a guitar player, but back then it was tough to find a band that wanted a chick guitarist, so I saw an add in the paper that was looking for a girl bass player and gave it a shot. It stuck.

What are your musical influences?

That’s a really tough question, I think my taste in music is quite broad, but initially I was really into metal, then punk rock.

What bands did you grow up listening too?

Metallica, Slayer, Primus, Janes Addiction, Dead Kennedy’s. That’ll give you the idea, hahaha.

If you never got into music, what would you think you would be doing?

Roller Derby!!! But who knows, what you’d like to do and what you end up doing aren’t always the same thing.

What is one item you need to have with you on tour?

My Mac, I love video games and movies.

What was it like playing your first live show and what kind of things did you have to overcome, like fears/nervousness?

My first show was a bit painful and exciting at the same time. I had just joined the band, so didn’t really know the songs yet, I winged it. But I was super jacked. It was my third band “Another Joe” that brought on all the nerves, because I actually cared about it. I was proud of that band and was invested in it. It was my only other serious band other than Shock. But that’s were I learned not be concerned with failure, have fun and put on a great show, cause in the end that’s all that matters.

What is it like winning an award for your music?

It’s pretty exciting, to be recognized for all your hard work. We feel very fortunate. Especially when you really don’t expect it, then you’re all marbles marbles marbles.

Have any ‘wild’ tour stories?

There are soooo many stories, but what am I aloud to say? Lol. . On our last trip to Halifax, before we got on the plane, Jesse posted on Craigslist that there was a 50 inch flat screen and children’s toys for FREE. He then listen Kadooh’s name and number as the contact. By the time our plane landed at the first lay over Kadooh had 70 voicemails. And it didn’t stop all day.

2 summers ago I broke my ribs while wrestling on the tour bus, we still had a week of shows left to do, so our tour manager had to load me up with a bottle of wine before each set so I could make it through. I thought I played awesome, hahaha, pulling off all the sweetest “matrix” style moves, but really I think the ground was just moving cause I had to be so smashed. If you’ve ever broken your ribs you’d know that it’s hard enough to breath, never mind sing.

When not playing music, or on tour, what stuff do you enjoy doing?

Long walks on the beach….. Haha, I guess all the normal stuff. Its funny, when we’re off tour the band hangs out a lot socially. So not much is really different. I do love to cook though, if it was up to me id have friends over for dinner every day.

What are some challenges being the only female in State of Shock?

Having 4 big brothers, hahaha, but, in the same sense it’s a good thing, I’m the safest chick around. I don’t think there are many challenges, there are the obvious differences between men and woman, but in the end we’re a family so there is a definitely a high level of acceptance. We all see each others good, bad, ugly and beautiful. There’s nowhere to hide, its liberating. But I think if I was the type of girl that was maybe not confident or pre-occupied with impressing men, things would be a lot different.

What is one thing you wish you were really good at?

I really wish I’d learned how to play the piano, I hope to take lessons one day.

What was it like seeing your CD for the first time for sale in a store like HMV, etc?

Awesome and it still is. The only difference now is realizing that having your record in a store doesn’t mean you’ve made it. There’s so much more to it. I miss the simplicity.

What is in your pocket(s) right now?

I’m actually in my bath robe… so no pockets?

What is one of your favourite cities to play in?

There’s so many different ways to answer that, but, I do love playing at home in Vancouver, you get to see all your family and friends.

Do you think the internet, and sites like MySpace and Twitter helps out new artists with gaining exposure and showing off their music to other people?

Absolutely. So many artists are discovered that way now.

How is the new album shaping out, and sounding?

We’re all very excited about this next record. Its coming along awesome, have had some great feedback and we can’t wait to get it out there and start touring again. There have been many new stories for us to tell about our lives over the last few years, the new songs cover a lot of them.

What advice would you give for people starting new bands or making new music?

Do it because you love it. It’s not easy. The best advice we ever got was that “nobody care’s”. I know that sounds harsh, but as soon as you realize that and take matters into your own hands, you’ll be better for it.

Anyone you want to thank?

My most magical unicorn Shock brothers, and all the people that buy our music and come to the shows, they allow us to continue doing what we love.

Any last words?

Stay thick.

Thanks,

Ryan Rose!

No comments: